St Saviour, one of the ten Guernsey parishes, is located on the west coast of the island. Entwined by a network of small country lanes, there is also a small stretch of coastline with Perelle and a tiny part of Vazon bay included.
One of Guernsey's most rural parishes with plenty of farms and nature, the local area is ideal for walking and cycling. People from St Saviour were traditionally nicknamed "fouormillaons" in Guernésiais. St Saviours features plenty of places to visit:
A family run business which manufacture wooden gifts and fine furniture, antique restoration, repairs, carving, wood turning, cabinet making and French polishing and modern finishes.
St Saviour's church
St Saviour's church sits in a valley overlooking the reservoir. The church dates back to the 12th century and was re-built in 1658 after it was struck by lightning. During the second world war the Germans used the church's tower as a lookout post. They cut peep holes in the tower so they could see out across the countryside. St Saviour's church is now well known for it's beautiful stained glass windows.
St Apolline's Chapel
St Apolline's Chapel, standing by the roadside in La Grande Rue, St Saviour, is a small medieval chapel that dates back to 1392 and was Guernsey's first designated ancient monument. The Chapel was named after St Apollonia, patron saint of dentists and toothache sufferers. The stained glass window in the Chapel shows her bound to a pillar with an angel touching her mouth and holding a tooth. The Chapel was restored in 1972 - 78 and is now open to the public. It features a 14th century painting of the Last Supper on the south wall.
Fort Richmond is a Victorian battery which has been sited on the West Coast headland between Vazon and Perelle since the late 18th Century when it was built to protect from invasion. This was in 1855 when Guernsey was perceived to be under threat of invasion from France which did not come to pass, and in 1908 the barracks was transferred to the States of Guernsey from the War Department.
In the inter-war years Fort Richmond was used as housing, a use it returned to after the Second World War. Since 1945 as well as housing the barracks have been used by the Guernsey Surf Club and a Christian Youth Group as a headquarters.
St Saviour's Tunnels
A series of complex tunnels around St Saviour including below St Saviour's church. Constructed by the Germans during the Occupation of the island to be used as a munitions and equipment store, after the war military equipment was dumped there, some of which is now on display. Open daily 10.00am to 6.00pm.
Beaches in Guernsey
Beaches in Guernsey are all within easy driving distance from Auberge du Val. These include:
- Perelle Bay
- Cobo Bay
- Fermain Bay
- L'Ancresse Bay
- L'Eree Beach
- Moulin Huet Bay
- Petit Port Bay
- Port Soif Beach
- Portelet Bay
- Vazon Bay
Other popular tourist attractions in Guernsey include:
- Castle Cornet
- Hauteville House
- Saumarez Manor